Week 4 blog

The First Week

My first week at the Sanford museum was fantastic. Before the internship, I was a little scared at starting a new chapter of my academic career. I began to overthink and assume that I would maybe not be ready or fit for the position. After two days I feel confident in my position and am happy that Sanford Museum was where I ended up. The environment is very fun and laid back, but it still focuses on research and the importance of preserving Sanford's records. The staff at the Sanford Museum is amazing, they have all been welcoming and allowed me to feel comfortable at all times while still pushing me to succeed. 

Initial Welcoming and Orientation    

During my first day, I was given a lot of information about the system of the museum itself. Karen Jacobs was a fantastic helper on my first day. She helped me relax and learn how to properly greet the guests and explain the layout of the museum. Since Karen is retiring at the end of June, she explained in depth all of the projects she has been working on as well as her unfinished projects that she needs help on. The first day was an information dump. I was tasked to read up on Henry Sanford and Sanford's black community. I learned a lot of valuable info on Sanford's past and how it had to adapted its economy away from farming because of the freezes. My first day was scary but by the end I felt happy and ready to take on my time at the Sanford Museum. 

Day Two

My second day was a little more calm than the first. When I first came in, I vacuumed the floors and swept the exterior of the building. Normally, Karen does this but it was her day off so I assumed the responsibility. Even though it was something basic and small that I also do at home, I felt fulfilled cleaning a public place for others to enjoy. After I lightly cleaned the museum I then started to sit at the front desk ready to greet guests as well as reading more Sanford books to enhance my knowledge. One guest came in that needed some information on some old building by Seminole avenue.  With some help from the curator, we were able to provide her with some information about the building and an old ball that she had wanted to see pictures of. Seeing the lady happy with the results made me very happy. It may sometimes be difficult to find older things that may not be easily accessible online, so to find it and have her be able to take pictures and share it with others is something amazing. a mom with her two kids also came in asking about a treasure hunt. Luckily Karen told me about it the day before so I was aware of it. The kids completed the treasure hunt at the Sanford Museum and i have them their reward as well as some candy for their good behavior. Day two had some eventful moments. I look forward to more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introductory blog

Week 5 Blog

Week 3 Blog