Week 5 Blog

 Maintaining the pace 

This second week of my time at the Sanford Museum has been relatively similar to last week. Maintaining the pace has been the most important thing for me as I sometimes tend to either go too fast on something and miss details, or go too slow because I am worried about covering every detail. I have done a pretty good job at maintaining a consistent pace when digitizing the Sanford directories as well as helping with some other projects when called on. I have around 7 pages to digitize and I have gotten through 2. Although I am going slower than I would like, my curator and other employees have reassured me that it takes time and their main concern is that it gets done with accuracy and in a clear manner.  

Customer Service

Since I am at the front desk I deal with plenty of guests who have questions or are interested in buying some Sanford Museum merchandise. On Friday we had a few people who were interested in buying some T-Shirts and other museum items. There is a system to register the purchased items but since I am not employed by the city of Sanford, I do not have access to it. Even without access, I still help out by retrieving any items that they need. 

Besides sales, I also help with any questions the museum guests have about Sanford. We have been working on finding some information about a doctor who practiced in Sanford during the early 20th century. I helped locate some information about his death and where he was buried. I also attempted to find his obituary but it seems to not be anywhere online. These projects are very fun because they are very random. Its either a quick 30 minute adventure or it could span weeks of research and clue chasing. 

Keeping up with chores

On my second week, I had to make sure that my morning chores were done quickly and well. Even though we typically do not get many guests in the first hour of being open, it is crucial to have that done within the first 15 minutes of opening. I have been doing a great job at efficiently completing my chores. 

Week two of my time at the Sanford Museum has been very fun. Collaborating with the employees on projects as well as having my own task has been enjoyable and a great learning experience. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introductory blog

Week 3 Blog